Tuesday 16 December 2008

Hallepoojah

I’m annoyed! The Jeff Buckley version of Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ is one of my favourite songs of all time. But now it’s been turned into a commercial vehicle for the X-Factor.

Don’t get me wrong, I watch X-Factor as much as the next person, but do the hoards of parents buying the single for their kiddies’ Christmas stockings even know what the song is about?! It’s blatantly about the birds and the bees!

And it’s all very well joining Facebook groups to try and get various versions of the same song to secure the Christmas Number One slot, but the rights to all versions of the track are owned by Sony BMG, so even if people download the Cohen / Buckley versions instead of Alexandra Burke’s, they are still simply lining Mr Cowell’s already-golden pockets – grrrr!

So in my warped and twisted mind I feel the only way to display my loyalty and respect for the song is simply not to listen to it ever again. Problem solved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But have you heard the version by Kathryn Williams. Much better than Buckley

Adele said...

...or buy Never Gonna Give You Up on iTunes and Rick Roll the stupid X-Factor off the Number 1 spot :)