Tuesday 19 April 2011

All of a Hither

Over a year ago I wrote about the delightful little corner of London that I call home - Hither Green in the borough of Lewisham. It's become one of my most-read posts, with people apparently stumbling across it when researching the area as a possible place to live (not that any of my posts are massively well-read - and none are as popular as the one I wrote about the chap who wears a pyramid on his head, but I'll save that ongoing story for another time). So I thought I'd write a bit of an update to that post to share some other cool things that are popping up in the area.

Manor House Gardens. OK, not strictly speaking Hither Green, but very very close

The main news: Hither Green now has its very own supper club! I went along to the inaugural Wattleseed supper club last weekend, and can't recommend it highly enough. The food was delicious, the hosts - Freya and Trace - were so welcoming and friendly, and it was fantastic to get to know other people in the area; plenty of local tips were shared and lots of gossip about the area was exchanged. There are two more nights lined up for May and June, and I'd urge anyone to go along if they're up for a laugh (lots of laughter, in fact) and would like to meet some fellow Hither Greeners.

Sticking to the food theme, myself and friends have taken to hitting the Hither Green streets once in a while to check out some nearby eateries. So far we've been to Spice of Life on Lee High Road, and the fantastic Villa Moura on Lee Road (yes, imaginatively-named roads in these parts).

These local jaunts have helped me to discover some great new places in the area, so earlier this month I volunteered to write a blog post for the (excellent) Londonist site, who had called out for Londoners to share ten of the best places to go and things to do in their local boroughs. I quickly volunteered for Lewisham, and very much enjoyed writing about my ten favourite places which I have discovered in the two and a half years that I've lived here. 

What many people rightly pointed out to me once the article went live is that there's a lot more to Lewisham than, errr, Lewisham, Lee and Hither Green. Indeed, had someone from, say, Brockley, written the piece instead and had focused on ten places in their locality I, too, would have jumped in and passionately defended my local hotspots. But what's great about the article is that there are now loads of other suggestions for places in the borough to eat, drink and be merry in the article itself and in the comments, so I think - despite my obvious bias to my immediate vicinity, it all worked out OK in the end. 

I like it here.

5 comments:

Shadow Latto said...

Hi,I'm finding it really tricky to get a flat/house in Honor Oak so thought about Hither Green. Sorry if this is not your bag but do you know what stuff there is for toddler children around Hither Green? I am interested to find out about Parks (with actual swing parks) and importantly, indoor activities as weather can be so bad here. Does the library have a children's corner with lots of toys for them to play with? Do you know of any softplay centres etc, maybe some community groups? Your knowledge of 'the Green' would be much appreciated. Thanks and congrations on the job at the Guardian. PS - been reading your other stories and it brings back memories! I used to do a bit of freelance music journalism. My best advice on short story writing(for all it's worth) is to be yourself and call on your own experiences rather than trying to write in a different voice. Lucy

Unknown said...

Hello there :)

I just stumbled upon your blog - I really like it. I just recently moved to London for my masters and am now living in the bourough of Lewisham, in Lee to be exact. It seems quite suburbun compared to other parts of the city but so far, I really like it. By the way: As a local, I should say, do you maybe have any suggestions what I should see/ do in Lee (or around)?

Best wishes,
Julia

Yahoo customer support said...

Nice blog,, Thanks for sharing..

Mut said...

Butterfly movers are again returned to the shipping sector
Whether auspicious auspicious for everyone.
Çayirova evden eve nakliyat
Şıfa evden eve nakliyat
Tuzla evden eve nakliyat
Orhanlı evden eve nakliyat
Yayla mah. evden eve nakliyat
Güzelyalı evden eve nakliyat
Pendik evden eve nakliyat
kurtköy evden eve nakliyat
Uydukent evden eve nakliyat
Kelebek nakliyat
Gebze nakliyat
Evkon nakliyat
Butterfly on transport and depolaq

Yahoophonenumber said...

Nice blog thanks for sharing -yahoo contact number