Monday 23 June 2008

Plinthesise

They've announced the next two commissions that are going to be displayed on Trafalgar Square's Fourth Plinth. Because Trafalgar Square is one of my favourite places in the world, I find the whole Fourth Plinth concept totally fascinating, and I am pleased to report that I am delighted with both of the latest selections. One work will involve a giant replica of Nelson's HMS Victory ship in an equally large bottle, a very fitting idea from the artist Yinka Shonibare given the proximity to Nelson's Column and all that. The second piece is a bit more 'out there'. The sculptor Anthony Gormley (who rocks) wants thousands of members of the public to stand on the plinth for an hour at a time, representing all walks of life. I really love this idea, and can see myself popping out of my office every 60mins just to see who's up there next. Wouldn't want to be the poor bugger stood up there at 4am on a Tuesday morning on a cold, wet November morning though!

No comments: